in the area of Dilsberg, and a Roman settlement in the area
of neighbouring Wiesenbach, give reason to believe that the
land Dilsberg is now on was already used for settlement by
the Roman occupation troops. More detailed knowledge of
Dilsberg, however, does not appear until it was assessed for
building castles in the early Middle Ages, where its conical
shape and extensive view over the Neckar Valley and towards
Kraichgau made it an obvious choice.
Construction of the castle, following on after the
neighbouring Wiesenbacher castle, once the importance of the
Neckar as a traffic route had been recognised.The diocese of
Worms as legal successor to the monastery Lorch subordinated
the Elsenzgau and also the Dilsberg to temporal governors
from the aristocracy. Thus Dilsberg was under the control of
the Lord of Lauffen.
First documented mention of „Dillighesberch“ as residence of
Count Boppo V. von Lauffen. A short time later through their
line of succession Dilsberg became counts seat of the Same
but „Dürn“ (Walldürn).
Rudolf von Habsburg buys the mountain fortress from the
impoverished Count Boppo II. Von Dürn, Count of Dilsberg.
Dilsberg finally becomes the property of the
Elector Palatinate after many years efforts by the
increasingly powerful Elector.
Dilsberg is elevated to the status of a town after the
residents of Weiler Rainbach (on the Neckar) and Reitenberg
(today to the west of the Dilsbergerhof) were forced to give
up their homes. Equipped with tax privileges, they relocate
on to the Dilsberg which was given a town wall and extended
the fortified castle by their houses which they had to open
up for the Heidelberg Court if necessary as a place to live
while in hiding or when hunting.
In the 14th century
Dilsberg receives a civil administration (official wine
century cellars) and a sub-office of the Elector Palatinate
as an administrative authority for the surrounding villages
(1401 until 1803). Due to its importance for the
Administration of the Elector Palatinate in the region of
the Lower Neckar and in the Kraichgau, the castle of
Dilsberg is extended by Commercial buildings.
In the 17th century
Castle Dilsberg is among the most embattled forticentury
fications during the 30-Year War. The Bavarian General Tilly
occupies the castle in 1622 after Dilsberg had opened its
doors after Heidelberg had been taken over by the Imperial
troops and was forced to capitulate. The Swedes won back the
castle in 1633, the Imperialists took Dilsberg again in
1653. Despite these fierce entanglements the Dilsberg castle
settlement remained largely undamaged just as it did in the
war of the Orleans Succession (1690) when the destroyer of
the Palatinate, the French General Mélac housed within the
town walls of Dilsberg with troops.
Dilsberg becomes a garrison of the Elector Palatinate in
which only pensioned soldiers carry out light guard duties.
The commanders house becomes the seat of the commander of
the fortification as commanderin-chief of the castle and
installation of a detention room for the students in
with the end of the Elector Palatinate, the mountain
fortification falls to the newly founded Land of Baden and
subsequently serves as a state prison.
The castle which had remained undamaged thus far was
released for demolition. With its loss of military
importance and the sub-office (1804) Dilsberg becomes
increasingly impoverished in the 19th century.
As of 1900
Development of the earlier mountain fortress via a rural
community to become a modern residential community and
1. 1. 1973
Dilsberg is incorporated into Neckargemünd as a part of the